Sunday 29 November 2015

Technical Evaluation

This project was heavily weighted down with learning new techniques and new terminology along with a whole new set of health and safety rules. I had learnt a whole new technique on making and adding pieces and prosthetics to the body.

You first create you're piece out of plasteline (a non-drying clay) on a non-porous surface when this is done a barrier is created around the piece to stop any silicone leaking out, a fixing spray and petrolise are then sprayed onto the design to help release the silicone mould when set, this should be done with a mask on and near a window. 
A solution of silicone A and B, making sure both equal parts and both parts are mixed thoroughly (I learnt the hard way) is poured over, leaving to set for at least an hour depending on the size of the design. Remove the mould when finished and wipe clean with alcohol, a mixture of 1:2 (Super Baldex : Alcohol) is then applied with a brush, you can do up to 3 layers of this, I found the thicker the baldez the easier it is to work with. To create the actual wound itself you measure out a mixture of Silicone A and B and 60% of the total amount would be deadner – this depends on how soft and skin like you would like your piece. When applying your piece you apply prosaid adhesive to the skin and the piece, wait until both sides are clear and then stick down, the baldez edges are blended out with alcohol. To remove the piece you would need to purchase prosaid remover and maybe a moisturiser for your model as it can be very damaging to the skin and it is also quite difficult to remove all the traces of glue.

Although I didn't use a bald cap I thought it would be important to include it in my technical evaluation because it is something I have learnt Applying a bald cap wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be – the hardest part would be the prep and trying to get the hair as flat as possible to the head using gel and water. You would then ask you’re model to help apply the bald cap, once it is all in place you trim it. Making sure the models head is tipped forward when cutting the back. Spirit gum is used to stick the edges down and isopropanol is used to blend the edges out.

I found majority of these techniques were easy just as soon as you got your head round them, I also felt like I grasped them quite well; the more you practice the easier they all get. I also found out that you have to stay completely on top of things when it comes to listening in class as as soon as you lose focus you will miss a crucial step. In regards to mistakes I made I found that although they were a slight hindrance they made my final work so much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment